1) Are space heaters the approved type (oil-filled or ceramic), and in appropriate areas (not in patient treatment or sleep areas)?
2) Is all cooking equipment the proper type and in designated cooking areas? (No toasters, toaster ovens, electric grills, etc.)
3) Are wet floors clearly marked with signage, to reduce slipping hazards?
4) Is the area free of door chocks?
5) Is the area free of electrical hazards (no damaged cords, extension cords or daisy-chaining surge protectors, etc.)?
6) Are corridors and passageways free of obstructions? *Note: Code & Isolations Carts are allowed
7) Are all stairwells clean, free of storage and obstructions?
8) Are fire doors, fire extinguishers, gas cut-off valves and other emergency equipment unobstructed?
9) Are all materials stored a minimum of 18 inches from sprinklers heads?
10) Are Emergency Telephone Number stickers on telephones? (New stickers with *500)
11) Are the medications properly secured?
12) Are trash rooms properly secured?
13) Was the area free from evidence of smoking?
14) Are storage & equipment rooms free of clutter and unsafe conditions?
15) Are areas used by patients safe, clean and comfortable?
16) Is the environment appropriate to the care, treatment, and services provided, and in relation to the age and needs of the patients?
17) Are all hazardous areas properly identified with signage?
18) Are all commercial exhaust hoods inspected?
19) Are chemicals properly stored, labeled, and separated from patient contact/other clean items?
20) Are chemical spill kits available?
21) Does staff know how to access the SDS (Safety Data Sheet) for chemicals?
22) Is Chemical Inventory list updated annually and accessible to employees?'
23) Are all records maintained for weekly testing of eyewash units?
24) Are the number of compressed gas cylinders within maximum limits?
25) Are all compressed gas cylinders properly secured and segregated? (Green rack FULL, Red rack Used/Empty)
26) Was the "Unit/Department Specific Emergency Preparedness Plan" complete, posted, and updated annually?
27) Does staff know location and proper use of fire extinguishers?
28) Does staff know location and proper use of medical gas shut-off valves?
29) Did the employees observed have RACER & Identification cards? (New RACER cards with*500)
30) Does staff know how to report a lost Identification Card?
31) Does the staff know how to access the Safety Manual, Safety & Security Management Plan, and the Emergency Operations Plan?
32) Does staff know how to report an unsafe condition?
33) Does staff know how to report safety and security incidents involving patients, visitors or staff?
34) Does staff know how handle/report medical equipment malfunctions and/or incidents, including when someone is injured by the equipment?
35) Are medical inspection tags current?
36) Does staff know the roles & responsibilities of their specific unit/department during a disaster or emergency exercise?
37) Does staff know of the emergency preparedness exercises that the facility has participated in within the past 12 months?
38) Have all concerns been identified?
39) Were hazards properly safeguarded for any renovations or construction projects underway?
40) If YES - were documents (construction & hot-works permits, barrier checklist, etc.) posted?
41) Are ceiling tiles clean and intact?
42) Are Exit and stairwell doors properly identified and illuminated?
43) Do fire doors open, close and latch properly?
44) Are sprinkler heads free from damage, corrosion, foreign materials and paint?
45) Are all electrical panels free of open gaps and improperly connected breakers in panels?
46) Are all panels in public areas properly secured?
47) Are all mechanical/electrical areas free of combustible storage/debris that increase potential for fire or prevent clear access to equipment & controls?
48) Are electrical outlets and junction boxes undamaged, and have covers?
49) Have all concerns been identified?