1. Are exit doors and stairwells clear?
Main, corridor, and stairwell exits cannot be blocked.
2. Are exit doors clearly marked "exit" and illuminated?
Check for burnt out bulbs.
3. Do fire doors latch properly?
Close the fire doors to see if they latch properly and see that there is no gap<1/8 inch in the middle.
4. Are corridors and passageways free of obstructions?
The corridors can have mobile items (wheels on them) that are emergency needed items and are in use. (8 ft corridor and 6 in projections followed with nothing remaining in the hall <30 min)
5. Are pull stations or fire extinguishers unlocked and obstructed?
There must be nothing to obstruct access.
6. Are doors propped / held open?
Doorstops or homemade held open devices are not allowed.
7. Are materials stored a minimum of 18 inches from sprinkler deflectors?
The distance between sprinkler deflector and stored items is 18 inches for sprinkled buildings. Check storage rooms, med rooms, patient rooms, etc.
8. Are stored rooms and equipment rooms free from clutter and unsafe conditions?
Make sure that items are not falling down or overstocked. Can you confirm there is no storage on the floor, including closet floors?
9. Do fire extinguishers have monthly and yearly checks?
10. Are linen, trash, and recycle bins < 32 gallons?
11. Sprinkler heads clean and free from debris?
12. Does staff know the meaning of R.A.C.E.?
13. Does staff know the location of exit route?
14. Does staff know the meaning of P.A.S.S.?
15. All lighting is operational?
16. Can you confirm there is no storage under the sink?
UT 3. EC.01.01.01
17. Is there at least 36” of clearance from electrical panels, fire and pull stations? Are electrical panels locked?
18. Is Med Gas, O2 shut off location labeled and clear of obstruction?
19. Are all mechanical, electrical, janitorial, communications rooms clean with no storage?
20. Does staff know how to identify an emergency outlet? (Red outlets are fail-safe)
21. Are floors and hallways in good condition?
22. Walls are free from damage (chips, scuffs, or gouges)?
23. Are ceiling tiles clean, stain free, and in good condition?
Indicate where these bad tiles are located in the comments.
24. Are heavy items stored at low levels or mid levels in storage?
Make sure heavy items are stored at waist level or lower shelves.
25. Is there an Emergency Operations Plan available? Check area for red emergency procedures guidebook.
26. Are staffs personal items properly secured?
27. Are all employees wearing their I.D badges properly?
29. No space heaters present
30. Does staff know what a tornado watch and a warning are? (Code gray and code black)
31. Does staff know how to contact Security? 5550 non-emergent, 2222 for emergency
32. Are appropriate procedures, instructions, or directions available for obtaining MSDS? MCL intranet page, HAZSOFT link.
33. All chemicals contain a manufactures label? Ensure all containers have a label.
34. Does equipment have cords in good condition (no cracks or exposed wires)?
35. Are all medical equipment inspection tags current?
36. Hand-washing soap dispensers are in place and filled?
37. Alcohol hand sanitizers are in place and not expired?