1. Is the food business registration current and accurate?
2. Is the food business complying with any specific registration conditions (if applicable)?
3. Is the current certificate of registration displayed
4. Does the food business have a current FSS?
5. Is the FSS’s certificate available at the premises?
Food Handling Controls
6. Is all food protected from contamination?
7. Are supplier details available for food on the premises and all food items labelled appropriately (with a prescribed name where applicable)?
8. Are all practical measures taken to ensure potentially hazardous food is received under temperature control?
9. Food Storage - Is all food protected from contamination?
10. Are food storage conditions appropriate?
11. Is potentially hazardous food stored under temperature control?
12. When processing, is all food: safe and suitable; prevented from being contaminated; and adequately processed to make safe?
13. Are potentially hazardous ready-to-eat food out of temperature control for minimum time while being processed?
14. Is potentially hazardous food cooled/reheated correctly?
15. Food Display - Is food on display protected from contamination?
16. Are self-service areas supervised, with separate utensils and protective barriers?
17. Is potentially hazardous food displayed under temperature control?
18. If potentially hazardous food is not displayed under temperature control, is there a documented alternate method of compliance?
19. Is food packaged in a manner that protects it from contamination, using appropriate material?
20. Is all food protected from contamination during transportation?
21. Are food transport vehicles suitable?
22. Is all potentially hazardous food transported under temperature control?
23. Is food for disposal kept separately from all other food and in a designated area?
24. Is there a documented recall system in place?
Health & Hygiene Requirements for Food Handlers
25. Do food handlers report illness and exclude themselves from food handling if they are suffering from a foodborne disease and/or condition?
26. Do food handlers exercise good hygiene practices?
27. Do food handlers wash their hands before commencing/recommencing work?
28. Do food handlers wash and dry hands thoroughly using designated hand washing facilities?
29. Are the hand washing facilities appropriately located?
30. Are the hand washing facilities: permanent fixtures; provided with a supply of warm running potable water through a single spout; of an adequate size; and used only for the washing of hands, arms and faces?
Health & Hygiene Requirements for Food Businesses
31. Does the business have easily accessible hand washing facilities that include: soap; single use towel; and a container for used towels?
32. Are actions taken to ensure staff members do not engage in food handling if they are suffering from a foodborne disease or condition?
33. Does the food business take practical measures to ensure all people within the food business avoid contaminating food?
Cleaning, Sanitising & Maintenance
34. Are the floors, walls and ceilings maintained in a clean condition?
35. Are the fixtures, fittings and equipment maintained in a clean condition?
36. Are food contact surfaces and eating and drinking utensils sanitised using appropriate sanitising methods?
37. Are premises, fixtures, fittings, equipment and utensils maintained in a good state of repair and working order?
38. Does the business have a readily accessible digital probe thermometer accurate to ±1oC?
39. Are single-use items protected from contamination and not reused?
40. Animal and Pest Control - Is the premises free from animals and pests?
41. Does the business take all practical measures to eradicate and prevent the entry and harbourage of pests?
Food Premises & Equipment
42. Is the food premises appropriate for its activities?
43. Is there an adequate supply of potable water?
44. Does the premises have an adequate sewage and waste water disposal system?
45. Does the premises have adequate storage facilities for garbage and recyclable matter?
46. Does the premises have adequate natural or mechanical ventilation?
47. Does the premises have sufficient lighting?
48. Are floors appropriate for the food business’ activities?
49. Are walls and ceilings designed and constructed in a way that is appropriate for the activities?
50. Are fixtures, fittings and equipment adequate and fit for their intended use and able to be effectively cleaned (and sanitised if applicable)?
51. Does the premises have adequate storage facilities?
52. Are there adequate toilet facilities available for the use of food handlers?
53. Is the toilet fitted with an air lock if it opens to a food preparation area?
54. Does food labelling comply with the Food Standards Code?
55. Does the food business display kilojoule information (only applicable to standard food outlets)?
56. Do food handlers have appropriate skills and knowledge in food safety and hygiene matters to handle food safely?
Inspection Conducted By
Inspection Conducted With