Have you employed an apprentice or trainee before and how many have you employed?
- I am/would consider
- No, not in a position to do
If your answer is Yes, please enter the number of apprentices employed.
What trade or vocation is offered by your business?
- Metal Trades
- Information Technology
What volume of apprentices or trainees did completed their qualification with you?
Please type in the number...............
What would be the preferred method or employment, directly or engage in a service provider?
- Direct (self - management)
- Service Provider (GTO-3rd party)
Why would you choose not to engage an apprentice or trainee?
- Too much administration and paperwork
- Don't or won't deal with the issues of a young apprentice or trainee
- Not confident with understanding the RTO's & the training required
- Too hard to performance manage the individual apprentice or trainee
- Too expensive
- Retiring from business
- More Government incentives needed
- Not enough continuous work?
- Not productive
What was the cause for them not to complete?
- Poor quality of work
- Low wages
- Injury / Illness
- Personal clash
- Employability (attitude)
- Learning difficulties
- Type of work didn't match qualification or trade?
What makes you feel more confident about engaging an apprentice or trainee?
- Greater individual support (performance Management)
- Selection and Recruitment
- Financial assistance (incentives)
- Education and training advice
- Third party management of Industrial relations/wages
Where do you go to seek help with managing apprentices and trainees?
- Other Empolyees
- Australian Apprentice Support Network (AASN)
- Group Training Organisations
- Fair Work Australia
- Department of Commerce
- Other business owners/ peak industry bodies (eg HIA, MBA)
- Small Business Development Centre (SBDC)
If you selected other in the question above please put answer here:
What is your preferred age range for an apprentice or trainee?
- 16yr. - 18yr. olds
Why would you engage a specific age range?
- Motor vehicle licence
- Lower award rates of pay
- No formed ideas (malleable)
Where do you or would you go to find an apprentice or trainee?
- Place advertisement
- Referral from friend or family
- School or sporting club
- Recruitment or Group training centre
- Registered Training Organisation (RTO) eg TAFE
Did you know you can share an apprentice or trainee between businesses if work levels drop whilst engaged through a Group Training provider?
- Yes, fully aware
- No, did not know
How would rate the direct engagement process through the Australian Apprenticeship Support Network ( AASN)?
The process of submitting the application is slow.
I always see a representative to help me with performance management of the apprentice or trainee.
I go to AASN for Industrial Relations information on award rates of pay.
Representatives are always available to speak to and respond in a timely manner.
I have assistance completing the paperwork, where to find and how to complete.
Does the requirement of block release to facilitate training at an RTO prevent you from engaging in apprenticeships and traineeships?
Does block release requirements deter you from engaging in apprentices or trainees?
What are the areas of vocational training that require block release for your location?
- Wet trades, painting,tiling,plastering,brick laying
- Spray painting
To what extent would you like to see other services being available to business owners to assist in your going success?
More options available to performance manage apprentices or trainees
Individual small business support and coaching.
An employer induction program for engaging an apprentice or trainee
Assistance with statutory requirements: Work Health and Safety
Assistance with statutory requirements: Payroll
Assistance with statutory requirements: Industrial Relations - Awards
Greater assistance with training related issues, either with an apprentice / trainee or other employees. Through localised RTO providers.