Type of Inspection?
- Spa pool
- Large Property (2 Hectares or greater)
- Waterfront Property
- Small Property (less than 230sqm)
- Portable or Inflatable Pool
- Outdoor pool
Has Swimming Pool Been Registered under Part 3A of the Act?
Does the dwelling form part of the pool barrier
Do boundary fences form part of the pool barrier?
1) Is the barrier in a good state of repair? (eg. no holes, missing panels or broken rails)
2) Is the Pool fence at least 1200mm high at all points measured from the outside of the pool?
3) Are all boundary fences which form part of the pool barrier a minimum 1800mm high measured from the inside of the pool area?
4) The gap between the bottom of the fence and the ground is no more than 100mm
5) The gaps between all vertical members on fence and gate are no more than 100mm
6) There are no potential footholds or handholds within 900mm of the top of the pool fence in any direction
7) Is there a min 900mm NCZ from the highest LOWER horizontal to the next horizontal member on the pool barrier ?
8) Is there a min 1000mm from the top of the bottom rail to the top of the pool barrier? (pool barrier must still be a minimum 1200)
9) Is there a minimum 300mm clearance internal to the barrier? (Not applicable for solid panel barriers)
10) Are all projections or indents on the approach side of the pool barrier less than 10 mm? (If greater, Must achieve NCZ with 900mm spacing between)
11) If perforated materials or mesh fence are used with apertures not greater than 13mm x 13mm, barrier height must be minimum 1200mm
12) If perforated or mesh materials are used with apertures greater than 13mm x 13mm (but not greater than 100mm), barrier height must be minimum 1800mm
13) If a wall forms part of the barrier, there are no openings greater than 100mm
14) Pool barrier is clear of any objects such as BBQ's, Trees, Rocks, Shrubs and Deck chairs that could help a small child climb over the fence
15) Where a 1.8 metre boundary fence intersects a 1.2metre 900mm internal return (maintaining effective height of 1800mm) is required to satisfy non-climbable zone.
16) Are the access gates in a good state of repair?
17) Does the gate/s open outwards, away from the pool enclosure?
18) Does the pool gate/s self close from any openable position without manual force?
19) Does the pool gate self-latch into a fully locked position?
20) Is the latching device a minimum 1500mm above ground level?
Is the latching device located on the inside of the fence and surrounded by a 450mm shield so that it must be accessed by reaching over the fence or through a latch access point that is 1200mm above ground level?
Note: The gate latch itself must be at least 150mm below the top of the fence or latch shield access point.
21) If a shielded gate exists, is the shielded radius a minimum 450 mm from the latching device on all sides ?
22) Are all hinges which protrude out from the gate with a horizontal top surface (depth greater than 10mm) spaced minimum 900mm apart?
Alternatively, fitted with an angled capping (minimum 60* degrees) to prevent foothold potential.
23) Is the gap under the pool gate a max of 100 mm when closed?
24) Is the gate latch itself at least 150mm below the top of the fence or latch shield access point?
25) When retaining wall is located above the pool level, the wall does not slope away from the pool by more than 15 degrees?
(measured from approach side)
26) When the retaining wall is located below the pool level, the wall does not slope towards the pool area by more than 15 degrees? (measured from approach side)
27) If construction material is of a climbable nature, the wall must be no less than 1800mm from finished ground level?
28) For retaining walls between 1200mm - 1800mm in height, NCZ1 & 2 must be achieved measured from the approach side of the pool
29) Where a retaining wall is less than 1200mm in height (measured from the approach side), and only forms a portion of the barrier, there must be no horizontal projections or indentations which could act as footholds or handholds?
(Achieving NCZ1 & 2)
30) Where a complying retaining wall intersects a pool barrier, has a 900mm return been provided?
(Overhang A, B, or C)
31) If a vertical or near vertical retaining wall or such barrier (max 15 degree off vertical ) exists on the high side of a pool, is the height of this item a minimum of 1800 mm?
Property owners had the choice of either fencing their pools, or having lockable doors and restricted window openings
32) There is a latch on the door at least 1500mm above floor level on every door entering the pool area
33) There shall be no footholds wider than 10mm on the door or its frame between the floor and 1000mm above the floor
34) There are no pet doors or openings to the pool area greater than 100mm
35) Garage doors fully comply with the above criteria and are fitted with fail-safe requirement in the event of a malfunction or power failure
36) The windows can only open to a maximum of 100mm OR
The windows are totally covered by bars or a mesh screen OR
The height from the sill of the lowest opening panel of a window (to the pool area) is at least 1800mm from the ground
33) A balcony that protrudes into an NCZ which is less than 1800mm above finished ground level to the pool shall be fitted with a balustrade that complies with the standard to restrict access
34) Is there an appropriate warning sign, including details of resuscitation (CPR) techniques, in the immediate vicinity of the pool area and which can be easily read from a distance of 3 metres?
Issue compliance certificate?
NOTE: This is not a "Compliance Certificate" issued under Part 4A of the Swimming Pools Act 1992.