HURAAR - Surgical Team Debrief
Instructions: HURRAR is a guide to conduct a surgical list debrief. It should take approx' two minutes. The debrief leader role can be taken up by any team member. Use the guide in conjunction with the 'SCABs Follow up' template which the scribe will send to managers at end of list.
1. Debriefer announces the start of the debrief and makes sure all operating team are present.
2. Starting with the most junior members, debriefer elicits from team members what went well, and not so well.
3. Debriefer asks for suggestions on how the team can improve next time (in terms of communication, systems, supplies, equipment or staffing)
4. Debriefer asks team if there are any DATIX incidents to report and HOW the team can address these in future.
5. Debriefer asks QI scribe (appointed at start of list) to report any other improvement areas identified on the list
6. Debriefer assigns clear follow up responsibilities and timelines
7. Debriefer asks a team member to summarise key issues to close the debrief.
8. Debriefer asks individuals if they have any further comments and questions.